If your sex or gender identity has changed, or if you do not fit neatly within male/female gender categories, your sex may be listed incorrectly on official documents. You may want to change that, for example, to allow for a complete transition into your correct gender, to reflect full social and governmental recognition of your identity, or to prevent ‘outing’ of transgender or intersex status.

This great resource from the Inner City Legal Centre describes the requirements for altering NSW birth certificates, documents issued by the NSW Roads and Maritime Services, and Australian passports.

Changing Sex Listed On Identification Documents