Community Calendar is your fortnightly look into what’s coming up for the LGBTIQA+ communities in Greater Sydney and NSW! This is our post for 12 November 2021.
Trans Awareness Week (14-19 November) and Trans Day of Remembrance/Resilience/Resistance (20 November)
Next week we will be honouring trans experiences and celebrating trans communities! Here are some community events happening online and around Sydney:
- The folks at TransHub are looking for artwork by trans people of all genders and their cis allies for an online gallery.
- On 16 November, join Pride in Diversity for an online fireside chat about trans experiences in the workplace and the wider world.
- On 18 November, join Switchboard Victoria, Koorie Pride Victoria, Zoe Belle Gender Collective, Many Coloured Sky and Transgender Victoria for an online Transgender Day of Remembrance panel.
- On 20 November, join Pride in Protest for the Trans Day of Resistance Rally and March.
Here are some interesting things happening online:
- Randwick City Council is holding a webinar on 16 November to discuss their new Inclusive Randwick Strategy.
- Inner West Council is holding their first of their Future Focus Forums on their Community Strategic Plan on 17 November.
- The Centre for Social Research in Health is hosting an online presentation on 24 November: The schooling and university experiences of diverse young adults in Sydney
- hangOUT is Twenty10’s weekly group on Discord for LGBTIQA+ folks aged 13-25! The server is open from 4pm to 6pm on Tuesdays and 3pm to 5pm on Thursdays. Want to get connected? Email email@example.com to get started.
- Flix is our monthly film screening for LGBTIQA+ folks! During the lockdown period, we are streaming via Discord – email firstname.lastname@example.org to get connected.
- We are partnering with headspace Miranda and headspace Hurstville again to run a social group for LGBTIQA+ young people aged 16 to 25 on Wednesdays! This group will be a safe and supportive place for young LGBTIQA+ individuals to meet and create meaningful and supportive connections.
Articles and other cool stuff
- Intersex Human Rights Australia: Health and wellbeing
- Weave Youth and Community Services: Mad Pride Online 2021
- Outstanding Stories – 2021 Winning Stories
- LGBTIQ+ Health Australia: Listening to LGBT Seniors
- LGBTIQ+ Health Australia: Beyond Urgent: National LGBTIQ+ Mental Health and Suicide Prevention Strategy
- Twenty10 is looking for a Youth Board Director! If you’re aged 18 to 26 and want to shape the future of Twenty10, we want to hear from you by 17 November.
- WSRC Writing Competition is looking for Western Sydney based writers to submit their original stories or poems around the theme: What’s it like living Queer in Western Sydney? Writers are encouraged to write about what it looks like to live in Western Sydney, perhaps the feeling of connections or the lack thereof. Submissions close 20 November.
- Randwick City Council’s Inclusive Randwick Strategy is open for comment until 29 November.
- Interested in a career in the arts? The Art Gallery of NSW’s Youth Collective is open for applications until 1 December at 3pm.
- Open Parachute is looking for young people aged 12 to 18 to be filmed for their school mental health program. Participants will be compensated $50, and filming will take place from 1-20 December. Learn more here (PDF).
- Inner West Council’s Community Strategic Plan is open for comment until 12 December.
Surveys, studies and consultations
- Waverley Council is holding focus groups to discuss priorities and aspirations for the future of the Waverley Council area, one on 16 November and another on 23 November. All participants will receive $50 compensation. If you live, work or go to school in Waverley Council and want to be involved, check out the flyer here (PDF) or register here.
- Barnardos Australia is doing a survey to better understand people’s experiences of domestic and family violence or abuse experienced as a child or young person.
- A researcher at UTS is looking for young queer men aged 18-28 living in the Sydney area to take part in a study around the design of social technologies.
- ACON, University of Melbourne and University of Tasmania want to know more about LGBTQ+ people in NSW’s experiences of sexual violence.
- The LGBTQ +You School Survey is an Australian-wide project at Macquarie University. This study is looking at what Australian schools are like for Students, Staff and Parents who identify as LGBTQ+. The survey takes around 15 minutes and is anonymous, asking questions about you and your experiences in Australian schools.
- TRANSForm is looking for trans and gender diverse people to complete surveys about their health and wellbeing.
- Researchers at Monash University are looking for LGBQ First Nations people aged 16-24 who have accessed counselling sessions. Participants will receive a $20 Clothing the Gaps gift voucher!
- ACON and a number of other services around the country are looking to hear from LGBTIQA+ folks aged 18+ who have ever used an LGBTIQA+ peer-led service (that would include Twenty10).