Community Calendar is your fortnightly look into what’s coming up for the LGBTIQA+ communities in Greater Sydney and NSW! This is our post for 20 August 2021.
Wear it Purple Day
Wear it Purple Day is next Friday, 27 August! Check out these events happening on and around Wear it Purple Day.
- Check out our blog post on ways you can celebrate Wear it Purple Day with your classmates, workmates, friends and family.
- We’re painting our Discord server purple for Wear it Purple Day! Join us at hangOUT on Thursday from 3pm to 5pm to get in on the fun.
- Join Wear it Purple and City of Sydney on Friday for a panel discussion with Clementine Ford, Grace Hyland, Meissa Mason, Zoe Terakes, Casey Conway, and Youth Action Council member Jacob Atkins.
- Minus18‘s Purple Pride Party on Friday evening is sure to be a great time! Open to folks aged 12-19.
- Join Casula Powerhouse on Friday for an online screening of the film Unsound.
- UNSW is hosting a series of conversations with students about gender, sexuality and more.
Here are some interesting things happening online:
- headspace is holding online mental health education sessions for parents and carers. These sessions will help you strengthen your skills and learn about support services available in your area. Sessions are running until 15 September – find your local one here.
- Available through 30 August – The Indian Film Festival of Melbourne is online this year, and you can access their films for free! They have a collection of excellent queer Indian films – scroll down to the “Love is Love” section.
- 30 August – Western Sydney Rainbow Connection’s Speaker Series hosts Francis Voon and Michael Stoneburner speaking about Coping through COVID.
- 1 September & 9 September – The Butterfly Foundation is holding two webinars for parents and carers of young people about healthy body images: one for young people of all genders (1 September) and one specifically for boys (9 September).
- Next group 2 September – Check out this QTPOC Lockdown Wellbeing Circle!
- 4 September – PYT Fairfield is holding a special event called A Love Letter to our Watan to bring light and acknowledge the rich culture and unity in our Afghan community.
- 9 September – Practice Institute Australia is holding a workshop: Bringing a Trauma-Aware Lens to Online Support for Children and Young People.
- 9 September – ACON is holding a webinar about COVID-19 vaccination.
- Available through 15 September – Check out the Sydney Science Trail!
- headspace Camperdown and All Together Now are looking for folks aged 14-21 to join the Agent C program (PDF). Learn about how to challenge fake news and conspiracy theories online in three interactive workshops – and receive a gift card as a thank-you for your time!
- Inner West Council is looking for representatives for the Inner West Local Planning Council. Applications close 27 August.
- The Coastal Twist Festival is looking for LGBTIQA+ artists from the Central Coast to submit to their upcoming exhibition. Deadline is 30 August.
- The Outstanding LGBTQIA+ Short Story Contest is open until 1 September. This year’s theme: Ooops!
- ACON’s Community Partnership Grants are open until 6 September!
- Attention students! The Pinnacle Foundation Scholarships are now open for applications until 15 September.
- The Canal to Creek Art Prize for folks in years 7-10 is open until 5 November.
Surveys, studies and consultations
- The Dalarinji study with ACON, BlaQ and Western Sydney University is holding some focus groups for young Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander LGBTIQA+ people, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander LGBTIQA+ elders, and service providers who work with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander and/or LGBTIQA+ people.
- A student researcher at University of Sydney is looking for trans and gender diverse people about their experiences in education. If you’ve graduated from secondary school in the last five years and would like to participate, email Olivia.
- TRANSForm is looking for trans and gender diverse people to complete surveys about their health and wellbeing.
- Researchers at Monash University are looking for LGBQ First Nations people aged 16-24 who have accessed counselling sessions. Participants will receive a $20 Clothing the Gaps gift voucher!
- Attention trans folks aged 18-24! Researchers from the University of New England are keen to hear from members of the trans young-adult community about their gender transition experiences from school, in an effort to highlight the positive aspects of being trans and to inspire school communities to better support the psychological wellbeing of trans and gender diverse students.
- A researcher at Curtin University wants to hear from non-binary folks aged 18+ about their experiences with GPs.
- UnLeash is a study exploring lesbian, bisexual and queer women’s (cisgender and transgender) health and wellbeing and the relationship with smoking, drinking and using drugs.
- ACON and UNSW are looking for gay, bisexual and queer Asian men aged 18+ to fill out the Gay Asian Men’s Survey. Available in English, Thai, Simplified Chinese and Traditional Chinese.
- ACON and a number of other services around the country are looking to hear from LGBTIQA+ folks aged 18+ who have ever used an LGBTIQA+ peer-led service (that would include Twenty10).