Events and opportunities
Here are some events and opportunities around the Greater Sydney Area:
- Want to explore skating, nature, art and connection? Get in touch with Queer Skate Research Lab and join in with their workshops at Sydney Park on 22 May and 29 May!
- The City of Sydney International Student Leadership and Ambassador Program‘s Youth Leadership Conference is happening online on May 22.
- Attention future hip hop stars! Street Media‘s Hip Hop coaching program for folks aged 16 to 24 every runs every Tuesday in May from 3pm to 4pm. For more info, get in touch with James at Street Media.
- The Council for Intellectual Disability is holding their first LGBTQ+ Friendly Peer Meet Up on Tuesday, 25 May.
- Want to get advice on your CV? Wondering what to expect at a job interview? Head over to the Employability Workshop for Youth at headspace Camperdown with Gaia from Co.As.It on Thursday 27 May from 2:10 to 3:30pm! Email Vicki to RSVP.
Articles and videos
- LGBTIQ+ Health Australia: Snapshot of Mental Health and Suicide Prevention Statistics for LGBTIQ+ People
- QNews: LGBTQIA+ social media ‘happy spaces’ need further work
- Radical Copyeditor: Ask a Radical Copyeditor: What’s the best way to refer to everyone who isn’t cis?
Surveys, studies and consultations
- A community member created a petition to have transgender surgeries covered by Medicare. It’s open to signatures until 9 June.
- Waverly Council wants to hear from young people aged 24 or younger – and you could win a gift voucher if you fill out their survey!
- The folks at Blaq, ACON and the Institute for Culture and Society at Western Sydney University are looking for LGBTIQA+ Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people between 14 and 25 years old to fill out a survey to understand social and emotional wellbeing and mental health of people in this group. Fill out the survey here.
- ACON and UNSW are looking for gay, bisexual and queer Asian men aged 18+ to fill out the Gay Asian Men’s Survey. Available in English, Thai, Simplified Chinese and Traditional Chinese.
- ACON and a number of other services around the country are looking to hear from LGBTIQA+ folks aged 18+ who have ever used an LGBTIQA+ peer-led service (that would include Twenty10).