Community Calendar is your fortnightly look into what’s coming up for the LGBTIQA+ communities in Greater Sydney and NSW! This is our post for 23 April 2021.
Have something you’d like to add? Let us know!
Events and opportunities
On 1 May, Twenty10 is starting our new face-to-face and online programming schedule! We’re in the process of updating our website with more info, so here’s the short version. Unless otherwise stated, these programs are happening at the Twenty10 Workshop Space at 37 Shepherd St, Chippendale:
- hangOUT on Discord for folks aged 13-25 will now be happening every Tuesday from 4 to 6pm – email firstname.lastname@example.org for more info
- Drop In for folks aged 12-25 will happen every second Thursday starting 6 May from 3pm to 5pm
- Drop In for folks aged 12-18 will run one Saturday a month starting 22 May from midday to 3pm
- OutWest for folks aged 12-25 will keep happening fortnightly on Wednesdays from 6pm to 8pm – the next group is on 28 April at Grounded Space Westfield Parramatta, upstairs from the train station and next to the bus transitway.
- Flix will be our monthly movie night on the first Friday of each month from 5pm to 8pm
- Our Pantry service will provide food support for LGBTIQA+ folks aged 12-25 on Thursdays from 2pm to 4pm – come pick up a hamper of staple foods.
Here are some more events happening around the Greater Sydney Area:
- The folks at The Woodvale Alliance have a new group called Step Out for LGBTIQA+ folks living, working or studying in the Cumberland Council area aged 12-18! If you’re interested in learning more/attending, get in touch with them – call 0490 048 405 or email email@example.com.
- Check out The (Sour Glitch) Two-Step Refusal from BrandX! “Something’s wrong. Everything’s right. The time is now, and they did it yesterday. For They and Them, to be read is to be misread, to be seen is to be unseen. In their fierce failure, bodies become less private, minds more muddled, stories less linear. They are forging the non-binary.” Showing on Friday 23 April and Saturday 24 April.
- Western Sydney Rainbow Connection’s Speaker Series is happening next on Monday, 26 April – learn more at their event page.
- Join Child Family Community Australia on 28 April for a webinar: The social and emotional wellbeing of LGBTIQA+ young people.
- Rainbow Families are having a #StrongSafeFabulous Family Fun Day for LGBTQA+ families on 2 May at Marrickville Town Hall! We’ll be there, so come say hi.
- Penrith Pride Place – an inclusive drop-in space for the young LGBTIQA+ community – is opening on 6 May!
- IDAHOBIT – the International Day Against Homophobia, Biphobia, Transphobia and discrimination against people with an intersex variation – is coming up on Monday, 17 May! Pride in Diversity will hold a webinar about harnessing the power of diversity!
- ACON’s LOVE Project invites you to share experiences of ageing from the lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer (LGBTQ) community. Speakers include Jessica-Su Tang, Tom Hatfield, Gail Hewison, Suman Lahiry, C.Moore Hardy and Roy Starkey. Sign up to attend either in person or via livestream on Wednesday, 18 May.
- We are once again offering the ASIST suicide intervention course tailored for LGBTIQA+ people on 28 and 29 May. Learn more about ASIST and our Community Connector program. We also have more dates further down the track, so fill out our EOI form if you’re interested even if you can’t make these May dates.
Articles and videos
Surveys, studies and consultations
- Waverly Council wants to hear from young people aged 24 or younger – and you could win a gift voucher if you fill out their survey!
- The folks at Blaq, ACON and the Institute for Culture and Society at Western Sydney University are looking for LGBTIQA+ Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people between 14 and 25 years old to fill out a survey to understand social and emotional wellbeing and mental health of people in this group. Fill out the survey here.