Community Calendar is your fortnightly look into what’s coming up for the LGBTIQA+ communities in Greater Sydney and NSW! This is our post for 26 November 2021.
End of Year Fundraising
We’re asking our supporters to fundraise for us this festive season. Head to the link to learn more!
- 2 December: The second issue of YOUth&I is launching online!
- 3 December: Join Pride in Health + Wellbeing and ACON’s Queer Ability team for a panel discussion about being LGBTQ and living with a disability.
- 5 December: Rainbow Families are holding an end of year sports carnival.
- 9 December: Forcibly Displaced People Network and Migration Council Australia are launching their new online course: Building service capacity to work with LGBTIQ+ forcibly displaced people.
- 11 December: Young LGBTIQA+ people aged 12 to 25 can join us for a Picnic in the Park!
- hangOUT is Twenty10’s weekly group on Discord for LGBTIQA+ folks aged 13-25! The server is open from 4pm to 6pm on Tuesdays and 3pm to 5pm on Thursdays. Want to get connected? Email email@example.com to get started.
- We are partnering with headspace Miranda and headspace Hurstville again to run a social group for LGBTIQA+ young people aged 16 to 25 on Wednesdays! This group will be a safe and supportive place for young LGBTIQA+ individuals to meet and create meaningful and supportive connections.
Articles and other cool stuff
- Queerstories is looking for performers!
- TransHub and ASHM are looking for trans and gender diverse voice actors.
- Interested in a career in the arts? The Art Gallery of NSW’s Youth Collective is open for applications until 1 December at 3pm.
- Open Parachute is looking for young people aged 12 to 18 to be filmed for their school mental health program. Participants will be compensated $50, and filming will take place from 1-20 December. Learn more here (PDF).
- Our friends at Pari have just launched a callout for The Ropes, a new program that champions the professional development and creative well-being of early career artists in Greater Western Sydney. Expressions of interest close 5 December.
- Inner West Council’s Community Strategic Plan is open for comment until 12 December.
Surveys, studies and consultations
- A researcher at Western Sydney University is looking for trans and gender diverse young people aged 14 to 18 to talk about their school experiences in NSW.
- Barnardos Australia is doing a survey to better understand people’s experiences of domestic and family violence or abuse experienced as a child or young person.
- A researcher at UTS is looking for young queer men aged 18-28 living in the Sydney area to take part in a study around the design of social technologies.
- ACON, University of Melbourne and University of Tasmania want to know more about LGBTQ+ people in NSW’s experiences of sexual violence.
- The LGBTQ +You School Survey is an Australian-wide project at Macquarie University. This study is looking at what Australian schools are like for Students, Staff and Parents who identify as LGBTQ+. The survey takes around 15 minutes and is anonymous, asking questions about you and your experiences in Australian schools.
- TRANSForm is looking for trans and gender diverse people to complete surveys about their health and wellbeing.
- Researchers at Monash University are looking for LGBQ First Nations people aged 16-24 who have accessed counselling sessions. Participants will receive a $20 Clothing the Gaps gift voucher!
- ACON and a number of other services around the country are looking to hear from LGBTIQA+ folks aged 18+ who have ever used an LGBTIQA+ peer-led service (that would include Twenty10).