Community Calendar is your weekly look into what’s coming up for the LGBTIQA+ communities in Greater Sydney and NSW! This is our post for 4 June 2021.
Have something you’d like to add? Let us know!
Want to see what’s coming up at Twenty10? Check out our service calendar!
We just launched our Annual Support Campaign, so please consider donating to us if you have the capacity!
Show Ponies Online Gallery
After our Show Ponies workshops and exhibition earlier in the year, we had so many amazing artworks to share. We have put them on the Show Ponies Online Gallery for everyone to enjoy (and purchase, if you want)! All proceeds from sales of these items go directly to the artists.
Messy Collective is seeking up to 12 members of the LGBTQI+ community to appear in a series of informative videos about online safety. We’re looking for a diverse representation from the LGBTQI+ community across ethnicities, abilities, age, gender identities and sexual orientation.
The 30-45-second videos will be educational but fun/humorous; so an ability to make us laugh (and have a laugh) is what we’re looking for!
Must be comfortable in front of a camera. Acting experience preferred but not essential.
You must also be reliable, collaborative, easy-going, and comfortable in a group setting.
If this sounds like you, please email firstname.lastname@example.org, providing:
- Name and any info on acting experience
- Short selfie clip introducing yourself (max. 1 minute, using your phone is fine).
- Demo reel (if you have one)
- “A couple of sentences on why you want to be involved in this project promoting online safety within the LGBTQI+ community?”
Successful applicants will need to be available for 1 to 2 days in mid-July. Filming will take place in Sydney.
Events and opportunities
Here are some events and opportunities around the Greater Sydney Area:
- Happy Pride Month! The month of June commemorates some powerful moments in the LGBTIQA+ rights movement, including the Stonewall Riots in New York City, 1969 and the first Mardi Gras in Sydney, 1978. Want to learn more about LGBTIQA+ history in Australia? Check out the Australian Queer Archives (AQuA).
- PortPride has a number of Pride events happening throughout the month – follow them on Facebook or Instagram for more info!
- ACON and City of Sydney’s Silver Sessions, Here For Women and LOVE Project, invites you to join a Social Movement with no political affiliations, agenda or commitments. We are simply creating a safe and welcoming space for all LGBTQ+ people, 55 plus, friends and allies. The next group is on Saturday 5 June at Glebe Town Hall!
- The WAYS Mini Blitz at Bondi Markets will showcase and promote local talent – come check out the performances by young people! Saturday, 6 June from 11:00am to 2:00pm at Bondi Beach Public School.
- Are you new to Sydney and studying at UNSW or TAFE Randwick? Check out this course with Recovery and Wellbeing College, Building Social Connections Away from Home, starting Wednesday, 9 June.
- Volunteering Australia has an opportunity for people doing volunteer work to take place in free accredited training in workplace health and safety and being an effective volunteer.
- Attention Snowy Mountains folks! Jindy Pride is having Monday Meetups this month on 14 June and 28 June from 5:30pm to 7pm at the Snowy Mountains Neighbourhood Centre. Free hot chocolate!
- Join Pride in Diversity’s program Sapphire for a panel discussion about creating inclusive spaces for women and other marginalised genders in the workplace at Deloitte on 16 June.
- The Bully Project is holding a workshop at Haberfield Library on 17 June to help empower parents and carers to support young people who are experiencing bullying.
- Attention parents and carers of LGBTIQA+ young people! Join Twenty10 for an information session on Tuesday, 22 June from 6pm to 7:30pm. Email Rebecca to RSVP.
Surveys, studies and consultations
- Macquarie University are looking for folks aged 12-17 – including autistic and non-autistic people – to participate in a study about navigating the world as a teen. Read the flyer here. This is a paid opportunity!
- A community member created a petition to have transgender surgeries covered by Medicare. It’s open to signatures until 9 June.
- Inner West Council are looking for feedback on their gender equity plan. Feedback closes on 10 June.
- Wellbeing Health and Youth want to work with young people to understand how they access online health information. Get paid for your ideas! Email the team for more info.
- Waverly Council wants to hear from young people aged 24 or younger – and you could win a gift voucher if you fill out their survey!
- The folks at Blaq, ACON and the Institute for Culture and Society at Western Sydney University are looking for LGBTIQA+ Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people between 14 and 25 years old to fill out a survey to understand social and emotional wellbeing and mental health of people in this group. Fill out the survey here.
- ACON and UNSW are looking for gay, bisexual and queer Asian men aged 18+ to fill out the Gay Asian Men’s Survey. Available in English, Thai, Simplified Chinese and Traditional Chinese.
- ACON and a number of other services around the country are looking to hear from LGBTIQA+ folks aged 18+ who have ever used an LGBTIQA+ peer-led service (that would include Twenty10).