Community Calendar is your fortnightly look into what’s coming up for the LGBTIQA+ communities in Greater Sydney and NSW! This is our post for 9 April 2021.
Have something you’d like to add? Let us know!
Events and opportunities
- The wonderful folks at Addison Road Community Organisation are holding poetry workshops for folks aged 12-24 from 13 to 15 April, and then an all-ages poetry slam on 16 April (including fundraising for Twenty10)! Register for the workshops here or read more about the poetry slam on Addi Road’s website.
- Newly added! Sydney Bi+ Network is holding a webinar on 14 April about bi+ experiences of HIV prevention.
- We’re excited to announce that OutWest is back! We’ll be meeting fortnightly at Grounded Space, Shop 2188/159-175 Church St (attached to Westfield Parramatta, above the train station and adjacent to bus stops), starting from 6pm to 8pm on Wednesday, 14 April.
- Twenty10 is holding some half-day face-to-face safeTALK suicide awareness sessions for LGBTIQA+ communities on 15 April (allies welcome) and 20 April (LGBTIQA+ folks only) – for free! Learn more about safeTALK and our Commuity Connector program. We also have more dates further down the track, so fill out our EOI form if you’re interested even if you can’t make these April dates.
- The amazing folks at Weave are holding a Youth Week block party at Coral Sea Park, Maroubra on Friday, 16 April from 3pm – 7pm – check out the flyer to the right!
- GEM is running an arts and health program called GEMAH-SYD for aspiring young artists and creatives aged 18 to 30 starting Saturday 17 April.
- The Boomalli Aboriginal Art Mardi Gras exhibition ends on 19 April, so go check it out while you can! It’s open from Tuesday to Saturday, 10am to 4pm. There is also a virtual exhibition at the website.
- WAYS are holding a Life Skills 101 course for young people aged 15-25 starting on 19 April. This course is focused on exploring and developing tools that are essential for young people and their future. Learn more about WAYS Youth Training at the link.
- The Youth Empowerment Tool is an online tool designed to empower young people to engage with health professionals and to increase their knowledge around sexual and reproductive health. The tool is launching on 21 April via webinar.
- Check out The (Sour Glitch) Two-Step Refusal from BrandX! “Something’s wrong. Everything’s right. The time is now, and they did it yesterday. For They and Them, to be read is to be misread, to be seen is to be unseen. In their fierce failure, bodies become less private, minds more muddled, stories less linear. They are forging the non-binary.” Showing on Friday 23 April and Saturday 24 April.
- Join Child Family Community Australia on 28 April for a webinar: The social and emotional wellbeing of LGBTIQA+ young people.
And here is a round up of Youth Week programs for councils across the Sydney area!
Articles and videos
- Intersex Human Rights Australia: Youth (updated 29 March)
- Dardi Munwurro: LGBTQIA+ Yarn (starts at 15:31)
- Re: News (NZ): Trans people tell us how they fell in love
- Overland: ‘We want more justice for Mhelody than the system can ever give her’ (Content note: discussion of violence against trans women, including sexual violence)
- Junkee: Pronouns 101: Everything you need to know about supporting your gender-diverse mates
Surveys, studies and consultations
- The folks at Blaq, ACON and the Institute for Culture and Society at Western Sydney University are looking for LGBTIQA+ Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people between 14 and 25 years old to fill out a survey to understand social and emotional wellbeing and mental health of people in this group. Fill out the survey here.