Twenty10’s Community Connector Suicide Prevention program provides training and support for people to identify, intervene and connect to support someone who is thinking about suicide, and help build suicide-safer communities. Twenty10 has been funded specifically to provide this training and tailored support to LGBTIQA+ people and people closely connected to supporting and working with LGBTIQA+ communities, as part of the “community gatekeeper training” initiative with NSW Health.
Within this program, we offer:
- START – a 90 minute online course that introduces you to basic skills to respond appropriately to someone thinking about suicide, and help to keep them safe. (Price: TBC)
- safeTALK – a half-day suicide alertness course, that trains you to recognise when someone is thinking of suicide and respond to connect them to resources to help prevent suicide. (Price: $11 per person, includes catering)
- ASIST (Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training): a 2-day skills focussed workshop that supports participants to carry out life-saving interventions – suicide first aid – for people with thoughts of suicide. ASIST is an internationally recognised training program. Our ASIST trainers and support workers are all peers from within the LGBTIQA+ communities. (Price: $55 per person, includes catering)
Twenty10 also offers LGBTIQA+ support and debrief for participants prior to and after completing any of these courses, through our Community Connector program.
We encourage anyone new to suicide awareness training or support to first do START or SafeTALK prior to signing up for ASIST. However, each course can be completed separately and there is no pre-requisite required for any course – anyone can learn to become a community connector to help keep LGBTIQA+ people safer from suicide.
Upcoming training dates
- Fri 5 Feb 2021, 9.00am-1.00pm
- Sat 6 Feb 2021, 9.30am-1.30pm
- Wed 10 Feb 2021, 2.00pm-6.00pm
- Further 2021 dates will be announced in February
- 2021 dates to be announced in February
Join us for Community Connector Training