Twenty10 is committed to continuing our services supporting LGBTIQA+ young people in New South Wales, their families and our communities at this most challenging time.
Based on expert advice and evidence regarding the health implications of COVID-19 we have made the decision to suspend face-to-face services in Chippendale and Parramatta, our team is working remotely and teleweb services have commenced across most of our programs.
Young people and programs
Some of the challenges facing young LGBTIQA+ people at this time include:
- Potential loss of income, employment, housing and increased risk of homelessness;
- Increased feelings of anxiety and self-isolation, mental and physical ill-health, compounded by not being able to access safe, social support services face-to-face;
- Spending increased time in the home environment where families may be less supportive;
- Potential increase in risk of family violence.
Some of the things we are doing to mitigate these concerns include:
- Working with our peak bodies to ensure employee’s rights, tenant’s rights and government subsidy packages are accessible and support young people;
- Liaising with our partners such as Kirketon Road Centre, Inner City Legal Centre and Burton St Clinic to ensure young people can still access these services;
- Taking a flexible approach to rental payments and income fluctuations for our housing clients;
- Increased hours for our phone and email intake and referral service, now operating weekdays from 10am – 1pm;
- Providing online resources direct to service users, as well as to the broader community, through our Facebook page, Instagram and Twitter;
- Providing QLife phone and web-based peer support service.
We hope that by suspending face-to-face services now, that we will help to protect the health and safety of service-users, employees and volunteers, and ensure that we are able to restore all our programs safely in the future.
Training and Community Capacity Building
From an organisational perspective we are also facing future challenges due to reduced capacity to deliver our LGBTIQA+ Inclusivity training programs and fundraising events between now and the end of the financial year.
Understandably many training sessions we have booked have had to be postponed. Thankfully, some of our clients are very keen to do training via Zoom where appropriate. If you would like to learn more about our digital training offerings, please get in touch via firstname.lastname@example.org.
Fundraising and Donations
Some of our key annual fundraising activities that would ordinarily take place around International Day Against Homophobia Biphobia Intersexism and Transphobia (IDAHOBIT) and the end of the financial year will not proceed as planned. Instead we are planning some exciting digital engagement opportunities for folks who would like to join as new supporters of Twenty10, and for our wonderful existing donors. By supporting Twenty10 you will ensure we are able to maintain our levels of support for young LGBTIQA+ people across NSW, as well as assist us when we return to having our rainbow doors open at Parramatta and Chippendale.
From all the Board and Staff at Twenty10 inc. GLCS NSW, we hope everyone can stay safe and in good health throughout the Covid-19 pandemic. Our communities have faced great challenges historically. By staying connected and working to help reduce transmission rates, and supporting those who are the most vulnerable at this time, we will get through this together.
Terence Humphreys & Jain Moralee
Co-Executive Directors, Twenty10 inc GLCS NSW
Recent COVID-19 Updates
We've been hearing a few questions about when Drop In and other services will reopen. The short answer: We continue to follow NSW guidelines regarding social distancing, which means our face-to-face services remain closed for the time being. We will be working with...
Due to the rapidly changing environment around COVID-19 and to ensure the health & wellbeing of our service users, staff and the broader community, we have made the decision to close Drop In, Out West and Social Saturday from 16th March for the rest of the month...